Shopping abroad is hard when you don’t know if your gift card will work in a different country. Wondering if you can use your Amazon Gift Card while shopping abroad? Unfortunately, Amazon Gift Cards are not valid for use in other countries. Each region has a different type of accepted gift card – so make sure to pick up an international gift card from the correct region before making an international purchase!
Why Don’t Amazon Gift Cards Work Internationally?
There are several main reasons why Amazon gift cards don’t work internationally. The main ones include
- Different countries have different currencies, and Amazon only accepts certain types of payments, making using an international gift card difficult.
- Currency conversion fees may also apply, causing additional costs not covered by the card value.
- Physical delivery could be further hindered due to shipping address restrictions in certain countries (e.g. India or Mexico) that do not allow foreign addresses as part of their policy.
What You Can Do With An International Version Of An Amazon Gift Card
Although there are limitations on what you can do with an international version of an Amazon gift card, like purchasing other gifts cards or prepaid open loop cards, it is still possible to buy items within eligible marketplaces such as digital goods or Kindle books overseas markets supports both these categories without limitations mentioned above (but eligibility rules might apply). That said, third-party vendors still require local billing information in order for transactions.
Purchasing an Amazon Gift Card for International Use
The process is straightforward if you want to buy an international Amazon gift card. First, go to the respective country’s version of the website. Then, look for the ‘Gift & Credit Card’ option under ‘Shop by Department’ in the menu bar at the top of the page. Once there, check out both physical and digital options that are available for purchase.
Redeeming an Amazon Gift Card
If someone has sent you an international Amazon gift card, it can be redeemed quickly and easily online. All that will be required is logging into your Amazon account and following step-by-step instructions on how to redeem it. The timeframe needed to do this depends on where you are located – just remember when waiting: patience is key!
Sending an Amazon Gift Card to Another Country
- Step 1: Log in to the relevant country’s version of Amazon to send an international gift card – global customers have access to all countries’ websites.
- Step 2: Once logged in, select your desired denomination and choose between physical or digital delivery options for your international gift card.
- Step 3: Check Payment Info Double-check that all payment information is correctly entered and reflected onscreen before completing the purchase.
- Step 4: Finalize & Review Make sure you review all terms of sale, including tax laws in both countries, before finalizing your purchase.
- Step 5: Send Physical Gift Card Consider any potential restrictions with sending a physical gift card, such as using a VPN or workaround.
Amazon Gift Cards are only met to be used within the country of purchase, but you can easily and quickly purchase gift cards for international marketplaces!