Losing your phone can be stressful. However, there are ways to locate your phone. If you lose your Android phone, know that you cannot find every Android phone. Some pre-requisites allow you to locate your phone mentioned below:
- Your phone should be on.
- The GPS location should be activated.
- Your Google account has to be signed in.
- The phone should be connected to the internet (Wi-Fi or mobile data).
- Find My Device must be turned on.
- The phone should appear on Google Play.
If you check all the boxes above, you can track your lost/stolen Android phone.
Use Google’s Find My Device
To use Android’s built-in features, you have to remember android.com/find.
- Open the website, and sign in with the same Google account synced to your Android.
- If you are not in the vicinity of a computer, you can use another Android phone and use the Find My Device app. Google will try to locate your phone right after you sign in to the site or app.
- Your phone will get a notification that the phone is being tracked. Use the menu on the left side of the screen to lock down the device and erase it. If you misplaced it in the car or at home, you can also play a sound. Here is what will happen:
- Securing the device will lock the phone and sign out of Google. (You can still locate it despite being locked).
- Erase Device will prevent you from tracking the phone. Save it as the last option.
- If the person who took your phone switches it off, you cannot track it unless it’s turned on and is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data. You will get an email from Google once it successfully locates your phone.
After finding your phone, you will have to enter a PIN or passcode to gain access. No need to turn off any features.
In the case of a Samsung Phone
If you have lost your Samsung Galaxy, Samsung gives the benefit of using Google or Samsung device locating services. It is best to use the Samsung one. Visit findmymobile.samsung.com. Since there is no companion app, use a mobile browser, phone, or computer.
Here is what you need to do:
- Sign in with your Samsung account and select Lost Device from the left side of the screen.
- A map will appear on the screen and show your device’s current location.
- You will see an options menu on the right.
- First of all, locking the phone. This will send a message on the lock screen that will prevent your device from getting turned off and suspend Samsung Pay cards.
- You must create a backup of your phone. If you lose it permanently, you would like to have a backup.
- Use the Track Location feature if your phone is moving locations. This feature tracks your phone every 15 minutes.
- Turn on the Extend battery life feature at the end. It will disable all phone functions except location tracking.
Like Google’s Find My Device service, Samsung service needs you to enter a PIN after finding your Android phone. There is no need to turn off any features from the website.